Dried Fruit Compote
From EatingWell: December 2006
This hearty dessert is the perfect sweet ending to a Hanukkah meal. Try serving it with plain yogurt, sweetened sour cream or ricotta cheese.
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces dried apricots, (3/4 cup)
- 4 ounces pitted prunes, (3/4 cup)
- 4 ounces dried pear halves, cut in half (3/4 cup)
- Stir water, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves. Add apricots, prunes and pears and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer slowly for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue simmering slowly until thickened, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely before serving. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store, covered, in a plastic or glass container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Per serving: 214 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 4 g fiber; 102 mg sodium; 486 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (20% daily value), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2006