From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Nuts and dried fruit up the nutrition--and tastiness--of brown rice.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup dried fruit
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts, (walnuts, pecans, almonds or pine nuts)
- Bring water, rice and fruit to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 40 to 50 minutes. Stir nuts into the hot rice, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Per serving: 261 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 159 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- 5 “bad” foods you should be eating (331 comments)
- The #1 food you should eat (and probably don't) (211 comments)
- 3 reasons you should snack on popcorn (124 comments)
- How to pickle anything (no canning necessary) (119 comments)
- 3 reasons you should reach for canola oil when you’re cooking (102 comments)
- What’s Fresh: Is corn healthy or not? (99 comments)
- The best breakfast foods for weight loss (78 comments)
- Is Coconut Oil Healthier Than Butter? (76 comments)
- How to make a healthy smoothie: best smoothie ingredients & 10 to ditch (75 comments)
- Trying to save money? 15 foods you don’t need to buy organic (72 comments)