Double Corn-Parmesan Biscotti
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Corn kernels and cornmeal give these savory biscotti a pleasant crunch. Fresh or frozen corn kernels work equally well.
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coarsely chop corn in a food processor or blender. Set aside.
- Combine flour, cheese, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Whisk together eggs, egg whites and Tabasco in a medium bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; mix until almost smooth. Add the chopped corn and mix well.
- Working on a floured surface, shape the dough into 2 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Place the logs on a prepared baking sheet and bake until firm to the touch, 22 to 27 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake for 60 minutes. Let cool.
Per biscotti: 35 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 97 mg sodium; 28 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve
- November/December 1992