Double Corn-Parmesan Biscotti
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Corn kernels and cornmeal give these savory biscotti a pleasant crunch. Fresh or frozen corn kernels work equally well.
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coarsely chop corn in a food processor or blender. Set aside.
- Combine flour, cheese, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Whisk together eggs, egg whites and Tabasco in a medium bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; mix until almost smooth. Add the chopped corn and mix well.
- Working on a floured surface, shape the dough into 2 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Place the logs on a prepared baking sheet and bake until firm to the touch, 22 to 27 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake for 60 minutes. Let cool.
Per biscotti: 35 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 97 mg sodium; 28 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve
- November/December 1992