From EatingWell: September/October 2009
This satisfying Middle Eastern wrap is full of dolmas and fresh vegetables. It makes a great take-along lunch if you pack the components separately.
- 1/2 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 whole-wheat lavash (see Note), or whole-wheat wrap
- 3 prepared dolmas (see Note)
- Combine lettuce, cucumber, tomato, yogurt, feta and garlic powder in a small bowl. To serve, spread the lettuce-yogurt mixture on the lavash, top with dolmas and roll.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the lettuce-yogurt mixture for up to 1 day.
- Ingredient Note: Dolmas are stuffed grape leaves that are traditionally filled with chopped vegetables, grains and sometimes ground meat. Find prepared dolmas in cans or jars near other Middle Eastern ingredients and at some supermarket salad bars.
- Lavash is thin, Middle Eastern bread found near other wraps and tortillas. It’s a great alternative to flour tortillas for rolling sandwich ingredients into a wrap. Depending on the brand and size, one serving may be one whole bread or half of the bread—check the nutrition panel on the back of the package.
Per serving: 384 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 9 g fiber; 664 mg sodium; 360 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- September/October 2009