From EatingWell: September/October 2009
This satisfying Middle Eastern wrap is full of dolmas and fresh vegetables. It makes a great take-along lunch if you pack the components separately.
- 1/2 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 whole-wheat lavash (see Note), or whole-wheat wrap
- 3 prepared dolmas (see Note)
- Combine lettuce, cucumber, tomato, yogurt, feta and garlic powder in a small bowl. To serve, spread the lettuce-yogurt mixture on the lavash, top with dolmas and roll.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the lettuce-yogurt mixture for up to 1 day.
- Ingredient Note: Dolmas are stuffed grape leaves that are traditionally filled with chopped vegetables, grains and sometimes ground meat. Find prepared dolmas in cans or jars near other Middle Eastern ingredients and at some supermarket salad bars.
- Lavash is thin, Middle Eastern bread found near other wraps and tortillas. It’s a great alternative to flour tortillas for rolling sandwich ingredients into a wrap. Depending on the brand and size, one serving may be one whole bread or half of the bread—check the nutrition panel on the back of the package.
Per serving: 384 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 9 g fiber; 664 mg sodium; 360 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2009