From EatingWell: September/October 2009
This satisfying Middle Eastern wrap is full of dolmas and fresh vegetables. It makes a great take-along lunch if you pack the components separately.
- 1/2 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 whole-wheat lavash (see Note), or whole-wheat wrap
- 3 prepared dolmas (see Note)
- Combine lettuce, cucumber, tomato, yogurt, feta and garlic powder in a small bowl. To serve, spread the lettuce-yogurt mixture on the lavash, top with dolmas and roll.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the lettuce-yogurt mixture for up to 1 day.
- Ingredient Note: Dolmas are stuffed grape leaves that are traditionally filled with chopped vegetables, grains and sometimes ground meat. Find prepared dolmas in cans or jars near other Middle Eastern ingredients and at some supermarket salad bars.
- Lavash is thin, Middle Eastern bread found near other wraps and tortillas. It’s a great alternative to flour tortillas for rolling sandwich ingredients into a wrap. Depending on the brand and size, one serving may be one whole bread or half of the bread—check the nutrition panel on the back of the package.
Per serving: 384 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 9 g fiber; 664 mg sodium; 360 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2009