From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Try these garlicky-dilly pickled carrots chopped in your dinner salad for a burst of flavor.
- 2 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch sticks (about 9 cups)
- 12-24 sprigs fresh dill
- 3-6 whole large cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar or cider vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Place a large bowl of ice water next to the stove. Bring a large pot of water to a boil in a large pot. Add half of the carrot sticks, cover, return to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the carrots to the ice water to cool. Repeat with the remaining carrots.
- Drain the cooled carrots and divide among 6 pint-size (2-cup) canning jars or similar-size tempered-glass or heatproof-plastic containers with lids. Divide the dill and garlic among the jars.
- Combine vinegar, 3 cups water, salt and sugar in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until the salt and sugar dissolve. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Carefully fill jars (or containers) with brine to within 1/2 inch of the rim, covering the carrots completely. (Discard any leftover brine.)
- Place the lids on the jars (or containers). Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month. | Equipment: 6 pint-size (2-cup) canning jars or similar-size tempered-glass or heatproof-plastic containers with lids
Per ¼-cup serving: 13 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 92 mg sodium; 102 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2010