Dill-Havarti Mashed Cauliflower
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This recipe for mashed cauliflower, spiked with dill and havarti cheese, makes a simple side dish for a weeknight dinner. The low-calorie cauliflower complements the rich creaminess of havarti cheese.
- 8 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 large head)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup grated dill havarti or Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons sliced chives or scallion greens
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a Dutch oven fitted with a steamer basket. Add cauliflower and garlic, cover and steam until very tender, 10 to 14 minutes
- Transfer the cauliflower and garlic to a food processor. Add cheese, milk, butter, dill, salt and pepper; puree until smooth. Stir in chives (or scallion greens).
Per serving: 135 calories; 9 g fat (6 g sat, 2 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 287 mg sodium; 460 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (117% daily value), Folate (21% dv), Calcium (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012