Dill-Havarti Mashed Cauliflower
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This recipe for mashed cauliflower, spiked with dill and havarti cheese, makes a simple side dish for a weeknight dinner. The low-calorie cauliflower complements the rich creaminess of havarti cheese.
- 8 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 large head)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup grated dill havarti or Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons sliced chives or scallion greens
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a Dutch oven fitted with a steamer basket. Add cauliflower and garlic, cover and steam until very tender, 10 to 14 minutes
- Transfer the cauliflower and garlic to a food processor. Add cheese, milk, butter, dill, salt and pepper; puree until smooth. Stir in chives (or scallion greens).
Per serving: 135 calories; 9 g fat (6 g sat, 2 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 287 mg sodium; 460 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (117% daily value), Folate (21% dv), Calcium (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012