Dill-Havarti Mashed Cauliflower
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This recipe for mashed cauliflower, spiked with dill and havarti cheese, makes a simple side dish for a weeknight dinner. The low-calorie cauliflower complements the rich creaminess of havarti cheese.
- 8 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 large head)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup grated dill havarti or Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons sliced chives or scallion greens
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a Dutch oven fitted with a steamer basket. Add cauliflower and garlic, cover and steam until very tender, 10 to 14 minutes
- Transfer the cauliflower and garlic to a food processor. Add cheese, milk, butter, dill, salt and pepper; puree until smooth. Stir in chives (or scallion greens).
Per serving: 135 calories; 9 g fat (6 g sat, 2 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 287 mg sodium; 460 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (117% daily value), Folate (21% dv), Calcium (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012