Dill-Havarti Mashed Cauliflower
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This recipe for mashed cauliflower, spiked with dill and havarti cheese, makes a simple side dish for a weeknight dinner. The low-calorie cauliflower complements the rich creaminess of havarti cheese.
- 8 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 large head)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup grated dill havarti or Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons sliced chives or scallion greens
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a Dutch oven fitted with a steamer basket. Add cauliflower and garlic, cover and steam until very tender, 10 to 14 minutes
- Transfer the cauliflower and garlic to a food processor. Add cheese, milk, butter, dill, salt and pepper; puree until smooth. Stir in chives (or scallion greens).
Per serving: 135 calories; 9 g fat (6 g sat, 2 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 287 mg sodium; 460 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (117% daily value), Folate (21% dv), Calcium (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 2012