Dijon Chicken Stew
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
This satisfying stew stars chunks of chicken and tender braised escarole in a flavorful Dijon wine sauce. Try it with boneless, skinless chicken thighs or pork tenderloin, if you prefer. It doubles easily in the same pot. Serve with rustic whole-grain bread.
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 cups chopped escarole (1 medium head)
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Whisk water, mustard and cornstarch in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic and rosemary; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add wine, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the wine is almost evaporated, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add chicken, escarole and broth. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk the cornstarch mixture and add to the pot. Bring the stew to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 262 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 3 g fiber; 487 mg sodium; 743 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (49% daily value), Folate (39% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Vitamin C (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 2010