Dijon Chicken Stew
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
This satisfying stew stars chunks of chicken and tender braised escarole in a flavorful Dijon wine sauce. Try it with boneless, skinless chicken thighs or pork tenderloin, if you prefer. It doubles easily in the same pot. Serve with rustic whole-grain bread.
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 cups chopped escarole (1 medium head)
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Whisk water, mustard and cornstarch in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic and rosemary; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add wine, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the wine is almost evaporated, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add chicken, escarole and broth. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk the cornstarch mixture and add to the pot. Bring the stew to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 262 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 3 g fiber; 487 mg sodium; 743 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (49% daily value), Folate (39% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Vitamin C (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 2010