Dijon Chicken Stew
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
This satisfying stew stars chunks of chicken and tender braised escarole in a flavorful Dijon wine sauce. Try it with boneless, skinless chicken thighs or pork tenderloin, if you prefer. It doubles easily in the same pot. Serve with rustic whole-grain bread.
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 cups chopped escarole (1 medium head)
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Whisk water, mustard and cornstarch in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic and rosemary; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add wine, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the wine is almost evaporated, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add chicken, escarole and broth. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk the cornstarch mixture and add to the pot. Bring the stew to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 262 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 3 g fiber; 487 mg sodium; 743 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (49% daily value), Folate (39% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Vitamin C (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 2010