Dijon Chicken Stew
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
This satisfying stew stars chunks of chicken and tender braised escarole in a flavorful Dijon wine sauce. Try it with boneless, skinless chicken thighs or pork tenderloin, if you prefer. It doubles easily in the same pot. Serve with rustic whole-grain bread.
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 cups chopped escarole (1 medium head)
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Whisk water, mustard and cornstarch in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic and rosemary; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add wine, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the wine is almost evaporated, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add chicken, escarole and broth. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk the cornstarch mixture and add to the pot. Bring the stew to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 262 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 3 g fiber; 487 mg sodium; 743 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (49% daily value), Folate (39% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Vitamin C (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 2010