Devil's Food Cookies
From EatingWell: September/October 1992
If these devilishly chocolaty cookies don't get gobbled the day they are baked, store them, well-wrapped, in the freezer.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup prune puree
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together sugar, prune puree, yogurt, oil and egg whites in a medium bowl. Stir together flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda and instant coffee in another medium bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet with a wooden spoon just until blended. Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, spacing cookies about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the tops spring back when touched lightly. Transfer the cookies to wire racks and cool.
Per serving: 124 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 84 mg sodium; 109 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1992