Devil's Food Cookies
From EatingWell: September/October 1992
If these devilishly chocolaty cookies don't get gobbled the day they are baked, store them, well-wrapped, in the freezer.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup prune puree
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together sugar, prune puree, yogurt, oil and egg whites in a medium bowl. Stir together flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda and instant coffee in another medium bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet with a wooden spoon just until blended. Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, spacing cookies about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the tops spring back when touched lightly. Transfer the cookies to wire racks and cool.
Per serving: 124 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 84 mg sodium; 109 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1992