Devil's Food Cookies
From EatingWell: September/October 1992
If these devilishly chocolaty cookies don't get gobbled the day they are baked, store them, well-wrapped, in the freezer.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup prune puree
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together sugar, prune puree, yogurt, oil and egg whites in a medium bowl. Stir together flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda and instant coffee in another medium bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet with a wooden spoon just until blended. Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, spacing cookies about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the tops spring back when touched lightly. Transfer the cookies to wire racks and cool.
Per serving: 124 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 84 mg sodium; 109 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1992