Devil's Food Cookies
From EatingWell: September/October 1992
If these devilishly chocolaty cookies don't get gobbled the day they are baked, store them, well-wrapped, in the freezer.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup prune puree
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together sugar, prune puree, yogurt, oil and egg whites in a medium bowl. Stir together flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda and instant coffee in another medium bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet with a wooden spoon just until blended. Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, spacing cookies about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the tops spring back when touched lightly. Transfer the cookies to wire racks and cool.
Per serving: 124 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 84 mg sodium; 109 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 1992