Great for a party, this recipe is a trompe l'oeil. Raspberry sauce disguises itself as tomato sauce, dried strawberries as pepperoni and white chocolate plays the role of mozzarella cheese in this fruity pizza-style tart. The crust is a clever cottage cheese pastry—easy to make and low in saturated fat yet very rich and tender.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cornmeal, for dusting
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup Raspberry Sauce, (recipe follows)
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1 kiwi fruit, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup dried strawberries, or dried cranberries
- 1 2-ounce block of white chocolate
- To prepare crust: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Puree cottage cheese in a food processor. Add sugar, oil, milk and vanilla and process until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and pulse 4 to 5 times, just until the dough clumps together. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and press the dough into a ball. Knead several times, but do not overwork. Dust with flour, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make Raspberry Sauce and prepare toppings.
- To assemble & bake pie: Position oven rack at the lowest level; preheat to 400°F. Coat a 12-inch pizza pan or large baking sheet with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cornmeal, shaking off excess.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle about 1/4 inch thick. Roll the dough back over a rolling pin and transfer to the prepared pizza pan or baking sheet. Finish the edges by turning them under. To glaze the border, brush it very lightly with a little milk and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the sugar.
- Spread the crust with Raspberry Sauce; scatter pineapple, kiwi and strawberries (or cranberries) on top. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar. Bake until the crust is golden and crisp, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm white chocolate in the microwave on Defrost until slightly softened but not melted, 20 to 40 seconds. Grate on a vegetable grater. (If the chocolate breaks into fine shreds, rather than large ones, continue to microwave, checking every 10 seconds.)
- Sprinkle the grated chocolate over the hot pie; let stand until melted. Cut the pie into wedges; serve warm or at room temperature. makes 8 servings. per serving: 244 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrate; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 234 mg sodium.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Whole-wheat pastry flour, lower in protein than regular whole-wheat flour, has less gluten-forming potential, making it a better choice for tender baked goods. You can find it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
Per serving: 244 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 239 mg sodium; 96 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)