Delicata Squash with Orange & Pistachios
If you haven’t tried delicata squash, it’s worth seeking out. The skin is tender enough to eat when cooked, so there’s no peeling involved. All you have to do is slice it and then cook it. Here we sauté it with olive oil and a little orange juice and zest, then add a sprinkling of pistachio nuts to make it special.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, halved and sliced
- 1 large delicata squash, halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped salted pistachios
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add squash, orange zest and juice, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring once, until the squash is almost tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed and the squash is tender and beginning to brown, 12 to 15 minutes more. Garnish with pistachios.
Per serving: 130 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 313 mg sodium; 507 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (100% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation