Delicata Squash with Orange & Pistachios
If you haven’t tried delicata squash, it’s worth seeking out. The skin is tender enough to eat when cooked, so there’s no peeling involved. All you have to do is slice it and then cook it. Here we sauté it with olive oil and a little orange juice and zest, then add a sprinkling of pistachio nuts to make it special.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, halved and sliced
- 1 large delicata squash, halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped salted pistachios
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add squash, orange zest and juice, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring once, until the squash is almost tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed and the squash is tender and beginning to brown, 12 to 15 minutes more. Garnish with pistachios.
Per serving: 130 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 313 mg sodium; 507 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (100% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Preparation/ Technique