Delicata Squash with Orange & Pistachios
If you haven’t tried delicata squash, it’s worth seeking out. The skin is tender enough to eat when cooked, so there’s no peeling involved. All you have to do is slice it and then cook it. Here we sauté it with olive oil and a little orange juice and zest, then add a sprinkling of pistachio nuts to make it special.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, halved and sliced
- 1 large delicata squash, halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped salted pistachios
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add squash, orange zest and juice, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring once, until the squash is almost tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed and the squash is tender and beginning to brown, 12 to 15 minutes more. Garnish with pistachios.
Per serving: 130 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 313 mg sodium; 507 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (100% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable