From EatingWell: Fall 2002
This versatile icing is ideal for piping, but it can also be thinned with water and painted over cookies; it dries to a beautiful matte finish. To avoid health concerns about uncooked eggs, use pasteurized egg whites. You can find both refrigerated cartons of pasteurized egg whites and convenient pasteurized dried egg whites in most supermarkets.
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons pasteurized liquid egg whites, or equivalent reconstituted dried egg whites (3 egg whites) (see Ingredient note)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Food coloring, (optional)
- Water for thinning, if needed
- Sift sugar and cream of tartar into a large mixing bowl. Add egg whites and vanilla; beat with an electric mixer at low speed until mixed. Increase speed to high and beat until icing has thickened and holds peaks, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Decorate cookies (see Cookie-Decorating Tips, with Holiday Cookie Cutouts recipe). While working, keep the icing covered with a damp towel to prevent it from drying out. Let cookies stand until icing has set, about 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: To avoid health concerns about uncooked eggs, use pasteurized egg whites. You can find both refrigerated cartons of pasteurized egg whites and convenient pasteurized dried egg whites in most supermarkets.
Per teaspoon: 20 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 4 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Fall 2002