From EatingWell: Fall 2002
This versatile icing is ideal for piping, but it can also be thinned with water and painted over cookies; it dries to a beautiful matte finish. To avoid health concerns about uncooked eggs, use pasteurized egg whites. You can find both refrigerated cartons of pasteurized egg whites and convenient pasteurized dried egg whites in most supermarkets.
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons pasteurized liquid egg whites, or equivalent reconstituted dried egg whites (3 egg whites) (see Ingredient note)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Food coloring, (optional)
- Water for thinning, if needed
- Sift sugar and cream of tartar into a large mixing bowl. Add egg whites and vanilla; beat with an electric mixer at low speed until mixed. Increase speed to high and beat until icing has thickened and holds peaks, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Decorate cookies (see Cookie-Decorating Tips, with Holiday Cookie Cutouts recipe). While working, keep the icing covered with a damp towel to prevent it from drying out. Let cookies stand until icing has set, about 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: To avoid health concerns about uncooked eggs, use pasteurized egg whites. You can find both refrigerated cartons of pasteurized egg whites and convenient pasteurized dried egg whites in most supermarkets.
- Decorate on parchment: When adding finishing touches to your cookies or cakes, place them on a large sheet of parchment paper before you decorate. The paper catches the excess, making cleanup a breeze.
Per teaspoon: 20 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 4 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Fall 2002