Date & Walnut Cake
Like many Greek and Middle Eastern sweets, this date-walnut cake is infused with a honey syrup. Semolina flour makes it moist and dense.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups semolina flour
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Honey Syrup
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice, juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together sugar and yogurt in a mixing bowl. Add semolina, dates, walnuts, orange zest and baking soda; stir until well combined. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Bake until the top is golden and the cake is set in the center, 30 to 40 minutes.
- To make honey syrup and finish cake: While the cake is baking, combine sugar, orange juice, honey, lemon juice and cinnamon in a saucepan; bring to a simmer and cook over low heat for 4 minutes. When the cake comes out of the oven, cut it into 15 pieces. Spoon the hot syrup evenly over the top, getting some around the edges and into the cuts. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 198 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 91 mg sodium; 124 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation