Date & Walnut Cake
Like many Greek and Middle Eastern sweets, this date-walnut cake is infused with a honey syrup. Semolina flour makes it moist and dense.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups semolina flour
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Honey Syrup
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice, juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together sugar and yogurt in a mixing bowl. Add semolina, dates, walnuts, orange zest and baking soda; stir until well combined. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Bake until the top is golden and the cake is set in the center, 30 to 40 minutes.
- To make honey syrup and finish cake: While the cake is baking, combine sugar, orange juice, honey, lemon juice and cinnamon in a saucepan; bring to a simmer and cook over low heat for 4 minutes. When the cake comes out of the oven, cut it into 15 pieces. Spoon the hot syrup evenly over the top, getting some around the edges and into the cuts. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 198 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 91 mg sodium; 124 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique