Date & Walnut Cake
Like many Greek and Middle Eastern sweets, this date-walnut cake is infused with a honey syrup. Semolina flour makes it moist and dense.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups semolina flour
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Honey Syrup
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice, juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together sugar and yogurt in a mixing bowl. Add semolina, dates, walnuts, orange zest and baking soda; stir until well combined. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Bake until the top is golden and the cake is set in the center, 30 to 40 minutes.
- To make honey syrup and finish cake: While the cake is baking, combine sugar, orange juice, honey, lemon juice and cinnamon in a saucepan; bring to a simmer and cook over low heat for 4 minutes. When the cake comes out of the oven, cut it into 15 pieces. Spoon the hot syrup evenly over the top, getting some around the edges and into the cuts. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 198 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 91 mg sodium; 124 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique