Date & Walnut Cake
Like many Greek and Middle Eastern sweets, this date-walnut cake is infused with a honey syrup. Semolina flour makes it moist and dense.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups semolina flour
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Honey Syrup
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice, juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together sugar and yogurt in a mixing bowl. Add semolina, dates, walnuts, orange zest and baking soda; stir until well combined. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Bake until the top is golden and the cake is set in the center, 30 to 40 minutes.
- To make honey syrup and finish cake: While the cake is baking, combine sugar, orange juice, honey, lemon juice and cinnamon in a saucepan; bring to a simmer and cook over low heat for 4 minutes. When the cake comes out of the oven, cut it into 15 pieces. Spoon the hot syrup evenly over the top, getting some around the edges and into the cuts. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 198 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 91 mg sodium; 124 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique