Here, graham cracker crumbs, dates and nuts are folded into beaten eggs and sugar to make a wonderfully chewy bar that's much lighter than traditional recipes.
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fine graham cracker crumbs, (36 graham cracker squares)
- 2/3 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, (2 ounces)
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together coffee powder and vanilla in a large bowl until the powder dissolves. Add sugar, eggs, egg white and salt and beat with an electric mixer on high speed until thick and pale, about 2 minutes. Fold in graham cracker crumbs, dates and pecans. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan; smooth the top.
- Bake the bars until the top feels dry and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. If desired, dust lightly with confectioners’ sugar.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The bars will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- To turn graham crackers into graham crumbs, use a food processor or place the crackers in a large ziplock plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
Per bar: 147 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 120 mg sodium; 101 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique