Here, graham cracker crumbs, dates and nuts are folded into beaten eggs and sugar to make a wonderfully chewy bar that's much lighter than traditional recipes.
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fine graham cracker crumbs, (36 graham cracker squares)
- 2/3 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, (2 ounces)
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together coffee powder and vanilla in a large bowl until the powder dissolves. Add sugar, eggs, egg white and salt and beat with an electric mixer on high speed until thick and pale, about 2 minutes. Fold in graham cracker crumbs, dates and pecans. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan; smooth the top.
- Bake the bars until the top feels dry and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. If desired, dust lightly with confectioners’ sugar.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The bars will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- To turn graham crackers into graham crumbs, use a food processor or place the crackers in a large ziplock plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
Per bar: 147 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 120 mg sodium; 101 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique