Here, graham cracker crumbs, dates and nuts are folded into beaten eggs and sugar to make a wonderfully chewy bar that's much lighter than traditional recipes.
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fine graham cracker crumbs, (36 graham cracker squares)
- 2/3 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, (2 ounces)
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together coffee powder and vanilla in a large bowl until the powder dissolves. Add sugar, eggs, egg white and salt and beat with an electric mixer on high speed until thick and pale, about 2 minutes. Fold in graham cracker crumbs, dates and pecans. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan; smooth the top.
- Bake the bars until the top feels dry and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. If desired, dust lightly with confectioners’ sugar.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The bars will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- To turn graham crackers into graham crumbs, use a food processor or place the crackers in a large ziplock plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
Per bar: 147 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 120 mg sodium; 101 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation