Here, graham cracker crumbs, dates and nuts are folded into beaten eggs and sugar to make a wonderfully chewy bar that's much lighter than traditional recipes.
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fine graham cracker crumbs, (36 graham cracker squares)
- 2/3 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, (2 ounces)
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together coffee powder and vanilla in a large bowl until the powder dissolves. Add sugar, eggs, egg white and salt and beat with an electric mixer on high speed until thick and pale, about 2 minutes. Fold in graham cracker crumbs, dates and pecans. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan; smooth the top.
- Bake the bars until the top feels dry and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. If desired, dust lightly with confectioners’ sugar.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The bars will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- To turn graham crackers into graham crumbs, use a food processor or place the crackers in a large ziplock plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
Per bar: 147 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 120 mg sodium; 101 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique