Love the recipe - I have made it several times and do add the extra egg to make it a little less heavy. I enjoy the flavor - everything speaks for itself instead of being masked by too many spices. A good breakfast muffin that stays with you until lunch. I've also made it with dried apricots and almonds - yummy! My husband and I eat these instead of granola bars on our morning commute to work.
From EatingWell: Winter 2004
Toasting the oats for this hearty muffin enhances their nutty flavor; orange zest contributes a citrus fragrance that plays well with the sweet dates.
5 Reviews for Date-Oat Muffins
I like them a lot. I made some changes though: instead of two eggs I put three and beat them a lot ( until I weight and prepared the other ingredients). I replaced wholewheat with extra oats. Not dry at all. Taste great and smell so good.
I wanted to like these, but my family just couldn't get excited about them. Fresh out of the oven, they were great! If you're feeding a family of 12 and have time to make them the morning you're eating them, that's great. But we had to make them the night before. When warming them up the next morning, the flavors started fading and by day 2, they had very little flavor. We ended up throwing them away.
Maybe i'm just not used to eating healthy muffins. This was my 1st attempt at making healthly muffins so my dad would have an alternative to fatty dunkin donuts. I subbed the oil for applesauce, and put in some oat bran in place of some of the all-purpose flour as the previous reviewer suggested. In addition, i tossed in about 1/3 cup of dried cranberries. They weren't dry, but didn't really taste like much. I won't be making these again.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)