Date Bran Jingle Balls
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Trisha Kruse, an administrative assistant, created quick, easy, no-bake date-nut balls to fill that special niche in your holiday repertoire.
- 2 cups bran flakes cereal
- 3/4 cup whole pitted dates
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons brandy, orange liqueur or orange juice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts, date sugar, coconut or toasted wheat germ
- Place cereal, dates and pecans in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add honey, cream cheese and brandy (or orange liqueur or orange juice) and pulse until a stiff dough forms.
- Scoop tablespoon-size portions and shape with greased hands into balls. Roll each ball in chopped nuts (or date sugar or coconut or wheat germ). Place on wax paper. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving or storing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container, separating balls with layers of wax paper, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Per cookie: 104 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 111 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, bars & cookies
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- November/December 2007