Dark Chocolate Sauce
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
Dark, glossy and slightly bittersweet, this sauce is both easy to make and a good keeper; serve it right from the refrigerator.
- 2 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 6 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, (use 1-2 tablespoons more for a less-bittersweet sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine chocolate, cocoa, sugar and coffee granules in a food processor. Process until finely ground, about 1 minute.
- Stir together water and corn syrup in a small saucepan; bring just to a boil over medium-high heat. With the food processor running, add the syrup mixture, then vanilla. Continue processing until the sauce is smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. (The sauce will seem thin, but will thicken during cooling.) Transfer to a container and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours. Stir well before serving; if the sauce seems too thick, stir in a little water.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 71 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 6 mg sodium; 22 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- June/July 2005