Dark Chocolate Sauce
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
Dark, glossy and slightly bittersweet, this sauce is both easy to make and a good keeper; serve it right from the refrigerator.
- 2 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 6 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, (use 1-2 tablespoons more for a less-bittersweet sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine chocolate, cocoa, sugar and coffee granules in a food processor. Process until finely ground, about 1 minute.
- Stir together water and corn syrup in a small saucepan; bring just to a boil over medium-high heat. With the food processor running, add the syrup mixture, then vanilla. Continue processing until the sauce is smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. (The sauce will seem thin, but will thicken during cooling.) Transfer to a container and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours. Stir well before serving; if the sauce seems too thick, stir in a little water.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 71 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 6 mg sodium; 22 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- June/July 2005