Dark Chocolate Sauce
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
Dark, glossy and slightly bittersweet, this sauce is both easy to make and a good keeper; serve it right from the refrigerator.
- 2 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 6 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, (use 1-2 tablespoons more for a less-bittersweet sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine chocolate, cocoa, sugar and coffee granules in a food processor. Process until finely ground, about 1 minute.
- Stir together water and corn syrup in a small saucepan; bring just to a boil over medium-high heat. With the food processor running, add the syrup mixture, then vanilla. Continue processing until the sauce is smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. (The sauce will seem thin, but will thicken during cooling.) Transfer to a container and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours. Stir well before serving; if the sauce seems too thick, stir in a little water.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 71 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 6 mg sodium; 22 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- June/July 2005