Dark Chocolate Sauce
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
Dark, glossy and slightly bittersweet, this sauce is both easy to make and a good keeper; serve it right from the refrigerator.
- 2 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 6 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, (use 1-2 tablespoons more for a less-bittersweet sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine chocolate, cocoa, sugar and coffee granules in a food processor. Process until finely ground, about 1 minute.
- Stir together water and corn syrup in a small saucepan; bring just to a boil over medium-high heat. With the food processor running, add the syrup mixture, then vanilla. Continue processing until the sauce is smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. (The sauce will seem thin, but will thicken during cooling.) Transfer to a container and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours. Stir well before serving; if the sauce seems too thick, stir in a little water.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 71 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 6 mg sodium; 22 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- June/July 2005