Dark Chocolate Florentines
From EatingWell: November/December 2008
Master of Fine Arts student Allyson Lea Smith consulted with her mother and baked at least six variations to create this healthier version of an oat-chocolate sandwich cookie.
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk, or low-fat plain soymilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, or walnuts (see Tip), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with foil or nonstick baking mats.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Remove from the heat. Add oil, oats, sugar, flour, milk (or soymilk), vanilla, salt and nuts and mix well. Drop level teaspoons of dough 3 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Spread or press each cookie into a thin, 2-inch circle with a fork or damp fingertips.
- Bake the cookies, in batches, until set, 5 to 7 minutes. Let cool completely before removing from the foil or mats. (The cookies will appear somewhat lacy.)
- When the cookies are cool, melt chocolate chips in a double boiler over hot, not boiling, water (or microwave in 15-second intervals, stirring in between). Gently spread the chocolate on the flat side of half (about 36) of the cookies. Gently spread a little jam on the flat side of the remaining cookies. Press the apricot and chocolate halves together to make sandwich cookies.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Tip: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per cookie: 108 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 19 mg sodium; 14 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, bars & cookies
- November/December 2008