Dark Chocolate Florentines
From EatingWell: November/December 2008
Master of Fine Arts student Allyson Lea Smith consulted with her mother and baked at least six variations to create this healthier version of an oat-chocolate sandwich cookie.
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk, or low-fat plain soymilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, or walnuts (see Tip), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with foil or nonstick baking mats.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Remove from the heat. Add oil, oats, sugar, flour, milk (or soymilk), vanilla, salt and nuts and mix well. Drop level teaspoons of dough 3 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Spread or press each cookie into a thin, 2-inch circle with a fork or damp fingertips.
- Bake the cookies, in batches, until set, 5 to 7 minutes. Let cool completely before removing from the foil or mats. (The cookies will appear somewhat lacy.)
- When the cookies are cool, melt chocolate chips in a double boiler over hot, not boiling, water (or microwave in 15-second intervals, stirring in between). Gently spread the chocolate on the flat side of half (about 36) of the cookies. Gently spread a little jam on the flat side of the remaining cookies. Press the apricot and chocolate halves together to make sandwich cookies.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Tip: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per cookie: 108 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 19 mg sodium; 14 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, bars & cookies
- November/December 2008