Dandelion Greens with Toasted Garlic & Almonds
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This salad recipe works for just about any green, but we especially love it with the light bite of assertive greens like dandelion or escarole. If you want to make it with mellower greens like chard or spinach, skip the blanching (Step 1), which is included to tame the bitter flavor.
- 1 large bunch dandelion greens or 1 head curly endive, escarole or chicory, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, whites and about 2 inches of the greens only
- 1/3 cup sliced blanched almonds, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drop greens into the boiling water and cook until bright green, stirring once or twice, 30 seconds to 2 minutes, depending on the type of greens. Drain in a colander, then rinse well with cold water. Drain again, pressing on the greens to remove excess water.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and scallions; cook, stirring, until the garlic starts to turn golden brown, 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Add the greens and cook, stirring, until tender and heated through, 1 to 3 minutes. Stir in almonds and season with salt. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 185 calories; 15 g fat (2 g sat, 10 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 423 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (162% daily value), Vitamin C (53% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Iron (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)