Dandelion Greens with Toasted Garlic & Almonds
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This salad recipe works for just about any green, but we especially love it with the light bite of assertive greens like dandelion or escarole. If you want to make it with mellower greens like chard or spinach, skip the blanching (Step 1), which is included to tame the bitter flavor.
- 1 large bunch dandelion greens or 1 head curly endive, escarole or chicory, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, whites and about 2 inches of the greens only
- 1/3 cup sliced blanched almonds, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drop greens into the boiling water and cook until bright green, stirring once or twice, 30 seconds to 2 minutes, depending on the type of greens. Drain in a colander, then rinse well with cold water. Drain again, pressing on the greens to remove excess water.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and scallions; cook, stirring, until the garlic starts to turn golden brown, 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Add the greens and cook, stirring, until tender and heated through, 1 to 3 minutes. Stir in almonds and season with salt. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 185 calories; 15 g fat (2 g sat, 10 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 423 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (162% daily value), Vitamin C (53% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Iron (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012