Dairy-Free Banana Rice Pudding
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
This rice pudding is dairy-free, but the bananas and rice milk make it so creamy and rich-tasting, no one will know the difference.
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups plus 1 tablespoon gluten-free vanilla rice milk, divided (see Tip)
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 ripe bananas, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine rice, water and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the liquid is fully absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Stir in 3 cups rice milk, brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and bring to a lively simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir cornstarch and the remaining 1 tablespoon rice milk in a small bowl until smooth; add to the pudding. Continue cooking, stirring often, until the mixture is the consistency of porridge, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Mash 2 bananas in a small bowl. Stir the mashed bananas and vanilla into the pudding. Transfer to a large bowl, press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pudding and refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours.
- Just before serving, slice the remaining 2 bananas. Top each serving with a few slices of banana and sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Finish with Step 4 just before serving.
- Tip: Some brands of rice milk may contain gluten. Gluten-free brands include Pacific Natural Foods or 365 Organic.
Per serving: 208 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 182 mg sodium; 213 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- September/October 2007