Dairy-Free Banana Rice Pudding
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
This rice pudding is dairy-free, but the bananas and rice milk make it so creamy and rich-tasting, no one will know the difference.
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups plus 1 tablespoon gluten-free vanilla rice milk, divided (see Tip)
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 ripe bananas, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine rice, water and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the liquid is fully absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Stir in 3 cups rice milk, brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and bring to a lively simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir cornstarch and the remaining 1 tablespoon rice milk in a small bowl until smooth; add to the pudding. Continue cooking, stirring often, until the mixture is the consistency of porridge, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Mash 2 bananas in a small bowl. Stir the mashed bananas and vanilla into the pudding. Transfer to a large bowl, press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pudding and refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours.
- Just before serving, slice the remaining 2 bananas. Top each serving with a few slices of banana and sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Finish with Step 4 just before serving.
- Tip: Some brands of rice milk may contain gluten. Gluten-free brands include Pacific Natural Foods or 365 Organic.
Per serving: 208 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 182 mg sodium; 213 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- September/October 2007