From EatingWell: May/June 2007
Try flavoring this light, versatile sauce with different liqueurs or extracts to top other desserts.
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kirsch, or Grand Marnier (optional)
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over a small bowl and have it ready by the stove.
- Bring about 1 inch of water to a simmer in the bottom of a double boiler.
- Whisk milk, egg yolk and sugar in the top of the double boiler to combine. Place over the simmering water and cook, stirring constantly and adjusting the heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer, until the sauce steams, registers at least 160°F on an instant-read thermometer and thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, 4 to 8 minutes.
- Immediately pour the custard through the sieve into the clean bowl. Whisk in kirsch (or Grand Marnier), if using. Press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the sauce and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 1/2 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per tablespoon: 20 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 9 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- May/June 2007