From EatingWell: May/June 2007
Try flavoring this light, versatile sauce with different liqueurs or extracts to top other desserts.
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kirsch, or Grand Marnier (optional)
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over a small bowl and have it ready by the stove.
- Bring about 1 inch of water to a simmer in the bottom of a double boiler.
- Whisk milk, egg yolk and sugar in the top of the double boiler to combine. Place over the simmering water and cook, stirring constantly and adjusting the heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer, until the sauce steams, registers at least 160°F on an instant-read thermometer and thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, 4 to 8 minutes.
- Immediately pour the custard through the sieve into the clean bowl. Whisk in kirsch (or Grand Marnier), if using. Press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the sauce and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 1/2 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per tablespoon: 20 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 9 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- May/June 2007