From EatingWell: May/June 2007
Try flavoring this light, versatile sauce with different liqueurs or extracts to top other desserts.
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kirsch, or Grand Marnier (optional)
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over a small bowl and have it ready by the stove.
- Bring about 1 inch of water to a simmer in the bottom of a double boiler.
- Whisk milk, egg yolk and sugar in the top of the double boiler to combine. Place over the simmering water and cook, stirring constantly and adjusting the heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer, until the sauce steams, registers at least 160°F on an instant-read thermometer and thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, 4 to 8 minutes.
- Immediately pour the custard through the sieve into the clean bowl. Whisk in kirsch (or Grand Marnier), if using. Press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the sauce and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 1/2 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per tablespoon: 20 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 9 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- May/June 2007