From EatingWell: November/December 1991
This custard-based version of eggnog cooks the eggs, making any concerns of food-borne illness a thing of the past!
- 8 cups nonfat milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brandy, rum or whiskey, (optional)
- Heat milk in a large saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles appear on the side of pan. Whisk together sugar, flour and salt in another large, heavy, nonaluminum saucepan. Add whole eggs and egg whites and whisk until smooth. Gradually blend in the scalded milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard has thickened enough to coat a spoon, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and strain into a bowl. Cover; chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, stir in vanilla, nutmeg and liquor (if using). Pour 2 cups of the custard into a blender, add 2 ice cubes and whirl until frothy. Repeat with remaining custard.
Per serving: 192 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 0 g fiber; 130 mg sodium; 307 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (20% daily value), Selenium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 nonfat milk, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High calcium
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- November/December 1991