From EatingWell: November/December 1991
This custard-based version of eggnog cooks the eggs, making any concerns of food-borne illness a thing of the past!
- 8 cups nonfat milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brandy, rum or whiskey, (optional)
- Heat milk in a large saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles appear on the side of pan. Whisk together sugar, flour and salt in another large, heavy, nonaluminum saucepan. Add whole eggs and egg whites and whisk until smooth. Gradually blend in the scalded milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard has thickened enough to coat a spoon, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and strain into a bowl. Cover; chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, stir in vanilla, nutmeg and liquor (if using). Pour 2 cups of the custard into a blender, add 2 ice cubes and whirl until frothy. Repeat with remaining custard.
Per serving: 192 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 0 g fiber; 130 mg sodium; 307 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (20% daily value), Selenium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 nonfat milk, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High calcium
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 1991