From EatingWell: November/December 1991
This custard-based version of eggnog cooks the eggs, making any concerns of food-borne illness a thing of the past!
- 8 cups nonfat milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brandy, rum or whiskey, (optional)
- Heat milk in a large saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles appear on the side of pan. Whisk together sugar, flour and salt in another large, heavy, nonaluminum saucepan. Add whole eggs and egg whites and whisk until smooth. Gradually blend in the scalded milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard has thickened enough to coat a spoon, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and strain into a bowl. Cover; chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, stir in vanilla, nutmeg and liquor (if using). Pour 2 cups of the custard into a blender, add 2 ice cubes and whirl until frothy. Repeat with remaining custard.
Per serving: 192 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 0 g fiber; 130 mg sodium; 307 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (20% daily value), Selenium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 nonfat milk, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High calcium
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 1991