From EatingWell: November/December 1991
This custard-based version of eggnog cooks the eggs, making any concerns of food-borne illness a thing of the past!
- 8 cups nonfat milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brandy, rum or whiskey, (optional)
- Heat milk in a large saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles appear on the side of pan. Whisk together sugar, flour and salt in another large, heavy, nonaluminum saucepan. Add whole eggs and egg whites and whisk until smooth. Gradually blend in the scalded milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard has thickened enough to coat a spoon, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and strain into a bowl. Cover; chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, stir in vanilla, nutmeg and liquor (if using). Pour 2 cups of the custard into a blender, add 2 ice cubes and whirl until frothy. Repeat with remaining custard.
Per serving: 192 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 0 g fiber; 130 mg sodium; 307 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (20% daily value), Selenium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 nonfat milk, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High calcium
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 1991