From EatingWell: November/December 1991
This custard-based version of eggnog cooks the eggs, making any concerns of food-borne illness a thing of the past!
- 8 cups nonfat milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brandy, rum or whiskey, (optional)
- Heat milk in a large saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles appear on the side of pan. Whisk together sugar, flour and salt in another large, heavy, nonaluminum saucepan. Add whole eggs and egg whites and whisk until smooth. Gradually blend in the scalded milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard has thickened enough to coat a spoon, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and strain into a bowl. Cover; chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, stir in vanilla, nutmeg and liquor (if using). Pour 2 cups of the custard into a blender, add 2 ice cubes and whirl until frothy. Repeat with remaining custard.
Per serving: 192 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 0 g fiber; 130 mg sodium; 307 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (20% daily value), Selenium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 nonfat milk, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High calcium
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 1991