Curry Scallops & Cilantro Rice for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This recipe for two pairs curry-coated scallops and brown rice seasoned with cilantro, scallions and lemon. Serve with roasted carrots tossed with cumin and coriander.
- 8 ounces (about 6 large) dry sea scallops (see Tip)
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups cooked instant or quick-cooking brown rice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pat scallops dry and sprinkle both sides with curry powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat until beginning to sizzle. Add the scallops and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Add cooked rice, cilantro, scallions, lemon juice and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt to the pan. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve the scallops with the rice.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Be sure to buy “dry” sea scallops. “Wet” scallops, which have been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate (STP), are not only mushy and less flavorful, but will not brown properly. Some scallops have a small white muscle on the side; remove it before cooking.
Per serving: 307 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 3 g fiber; 751 mg sodium; 352 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value)
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Valentine's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012