Curry Scallops & Cilantro Rice for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This recipe for two pairs curry-coated scallops and brown rice seasoned with cilantro, scallions and lemon. Serve with roasted carrots tossed with cumin and coriander.
- 8 ounces (about 6 large) dry sea scallops (see Tip)
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups cooked instant or quick-cooking brown rice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pat scallops dry and sprinkle both sides with curry powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat until beginning to sizzle. Add the scallops and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Add cooked rice, cilantro, scallions, lemon juice and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt to the pan. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve the scallops with the rice.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Be sure to buy “dry” sea scallops. “Wet” scallops, which have been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate (STP), are not only mushy and less flavorful, but will not brown properly. Some scallops have a small white muscle on the side; remove it before cooking.
Per serving: 307 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 3 g fiber; 751 mg sodium; 352 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value)
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Valentine's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012