Curry Scallops & Cilantro Rice for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This recipe for two pairs curry-coated scallops and brown rice seasoned with cilantro, scallions and lemon. Serve with roasted carrots tossed with cumin and coriander.
- 8 ounces (about 6 large) dry sea scallops (see Tip)
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups cooked instant or quick-cooking brown rice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pat scallops dry and sprinkle both sides with curry powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat until beginning to sizzle. Add the scallops and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Add cooked rice, cilantro, scallions, lemon juice and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt to the pan. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve the scallops with the rice.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Be sure to buy “dry” sea scallops. “Wet” scallops, which have been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate (STP), are not only mushy and less flavorful, but will not brown properly. Some scallops have a small white muscle on the side; remove it before cooking.
Per serving: 307 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 3 g fiber; 751 mg sodium; 352 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value)
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2012