Curry Scallops & Cilantro Rice for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This recipe for two pairs curry-coated scallops and brown rice seasoned with cilantro, scallions and lemon. Serve with roasted carrots tossed with cumin and coriander.
- 8 ounces (about 6 large) dry sea scallops (see Tip)
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups cooked instant or quick-cooking brown rice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pat scallops dry and sprinkle both sides with curry powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat until beginning to sizzle. Add the scallops and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Add cooked rice, cilantro, scallions, lemon juice and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt to the pan. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve the scallops with the rice.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Be sure to buy “dry” sea scallops. “Wet” scallops, which have been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate (STP), are not only mushy and less flavorful, but will not brown properly. Some scallops have a small white muscle on the side; remove it before cooking.
Per serving: 307 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 3 g fiber; 751 mg sodium; 352 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value)
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 2012