Curry Scallops & Cilantro Rice
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This recipe pairs curry-coated scallops and brown rice seasoned with cilantro, scallions and lemon. For this recipe you’ll need 3 cups cooked brown rice. Serve with roasted carrots tossed with cumin and coriander.
- 1 pound dry sea scallops
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups cooked instant or quick-cooking brown rice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3-4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pat scallops dry and sprinkle both sides with curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until beginning to sizzle. Add the scallops and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Add cooked rice, cilantro, scallions, lemon juice and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to the pan. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve the scallops with the rice.
Per serving: 305 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 3 g fiber; 750 mg sodium; 342 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 2012