Curry-Roasted Shrimp with Oranges
Shrimp, oranges and curry make a great flavor trio. Serve over rice as a main course or as is for an appetizer.
- 2 large seedless oranges
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, (30-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, preferably Madras (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet (with sides) with parchment paper. Finely grate the zest of 1 orange; set aside. Using a sharp knife, peel both oranges, removing all the bitter white pith. Thinly slice the oranges crosswise, then cut the slices into quarters. Spread the orange slices on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Roast until the oranges are slightly dry, about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss shrimp with oil, curry powder, pepper, the orange zest and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Transfer the shrimp to the baking sheet with the oranges and roast until pink and curled, about 6 minutes. Divide the oranges and the shrimp among 4 plates and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving.
- Note: Madras curry powder is made with a hotter blend of spices than standard curry powder.
Per serving: 253 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 259 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 4 g fiber; 548 mg sodium; 338 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (93% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 5 very lean meat, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique