Curry-Roasted Shrimp with Oranges
Shrimp, oranges and curry make a great flavor trio. Serve over rice as a main course or as is for an appetizer.
- 2 large seedless oranges
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, (30-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, preferably Madras (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet (with sides) with parchment paper. Finely grate the zest of 1 orange; set aside. Using a sharp knife, peel both oranges, removing all the bitter white pith. Thinly slice the oranges crosswise, then cut the slices into quarters. Spread the orange slices on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Roast until the oranges are slightly dry, about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss shrimp with oil, curry powder, pepper, the orange zest and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Transfer the shrimp to the baking sheet with the oranges and roast until pink and curled, about 6 minutes. Divide the oranges and the shrimp among 4 plates and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving.
- Note: Madras curry powder is made with a hotter blend of spices than standard curry powder.
Per serving: 253 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 259 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 4 g fiber; 548 mg sodium; 338 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (93% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 5 very lean meat, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)