Curry-Roasted Shrimp with Oranges
Shrimp, oranges and curry make a great flavor trio. Serve over rice as a main course or as is for an appetizer.
- 2 large seedless oranges
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, (30-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, preferably Madras (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet (with sides) with parchment paper. Finely grate the zest of 1 orange; set aside. Using a sharp knife, peel both oranges, removing all the bitter white pith. Thinly slice the oranges crosswise, then cut the slices into quarters. Spread the orange slices on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Roast until the oranges are slightly dry, about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss shrimp with oil, curry powder, pepper, the orange zest and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Transfer the shrimp to the baking sheet with the oranges and roast until pink and curled, about 6 minutes. Divide the oranges and the shrimp among 4 plates and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving.
- Note: Madras curry powder is made with a hotter blend of spices than standard curry powder.
Per serving: 253 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 259 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 4 g fiber; 548 mg sodium; 338 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (93% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 5 very lean meat, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood