Curry-Roasted Shrimp with Oranges
Shrimp, oranges and curry make a great flavor trio. Serve over rice as a main course or as is for an appetizer.
- 2 large seedless oranges
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, (30-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, preferably Madras (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet (with sides) with parchment paper. Finely grate the zest of 1 orange; set aside. Using a sharp knife, peel both oranges, removing all the bitter white pith. Thinly slice the oranges crosswise, then cut the slices into quarters. Spread the orange slices on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Roast until the oranges are slightly dry, about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss shrimp with oil, curry powder, pepper, the orange zest and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Transfer the shrimp to the baking sheet with the oranges and roast until pink and curled, about 6 minutes. Divide the oranges and the shrimp among 4 plates and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving.
- Note: Madras curry powder is made with a hotter blend of spices than standard curry powder.
Per serving: 253 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 259 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 4 g fiber; 548 mg sodium; 338 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (93% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 5 very lean meat, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood