Curried Zucchini & Couscous
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Made all in one saucepan, this curried zucchini and couscous recipe is a quick side dish, perfect to serve with grilled meats. For a little sweetness, throw in a handful of raisins with the carrots.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add zucchini and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add water, lime juice, curry, cumin, salt and pepper to the pan and bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Add the couscous and carrot to the bowl with the zucchini; stir to combine. Serve topped with almonds.
Tips & Notes
- Toast nuts before using in a recipe for the best flavor. To toast whole nuts, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes. To toast chopped, small or sliced nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 251 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 7 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 421 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (96% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2013