Curried Waldorf Salad
The famous Waldorf Salad, full of apples, celery, raisins and walnuts, gets a healthful makeover in with a touch of golden curry. It has nearly twice the fiber of typical versions.
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 orange
- 2 tart-sweet red apples, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, curry powder, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl. Grate 2 teaspoons zest from the orange and add to the dressing.
- Using a sharp knife, cut off the peel and white pith from the orange. To make segments, hold the orange over the bowl (to catch the juice) and slice between each segment and its surrounding membranes. Add apples, celery, raisins and walnuts; toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped walnuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 5 minutes.
Per serving: 136 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 134 mg sodium; 222 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (26% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer