Curried Waldorf Salad
The famous Waldorf Salad, full of apples, celery, raisins and walnuts, gets a healthful makeover in with a touch of golden curry. It has nearly twice the fiber of typical versions.
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 orange
- 2 tart-sweet red apples, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, curry powder, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl. Grate 2 teaspoons zest from the orange and add to the dressing.
- Using a sharp knife, cut off the peel and white pith from the orange. To make segments, hold the orange over the bowl (to catch the juice) and slice between each segment and its surrounding membranes. Add apples, celery, raisins and walnuts; toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped walnuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 5 minutes.
Per serving: 136 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 134 mg sodium; 222 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (26% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation