Curried Vegetables with Eggs
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
Get some vegetable servings in at breakfast—baking eggs on top of curried vegetables is simple and delicious. Make it a meal: Serve with grilled country bread and sliced fresh fruit.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 10 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and sliced (3 cups sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow summer squash, or zucchini, diced
- 1 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, with juice
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 small or medium eggs
- 4 slices French or Italian bread, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, green peppers and squash or zucchini; sauté until the mushrooms are limp and exude their liquid. Add tomatoes and mash with a wooden spoon. Stir in crushed red pepper, if using, and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the vegetable mixture evenly over the bottom of a shallow 3-quart baking dish. Make 4 wells in the vegetable mixture and break an egg into each one. Season eggs with salt and pepper. Bake until the eggs are set, 12 to 15 minutes. Gently transfer eggs to plates with a large spoon and surround with the vegetable mixture. Serve with toasted bread.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat before continuing.
Per serving: 333 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 157 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 6 g fiber; 706 mg sodium; 809 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (79% daily value), Folate (48% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Iron (29% dv), Magnesium (15% dv), Selenium (52% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 vegetables, 1/2 medium-fat meat substitute, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 1993