Curried Vegetables with Eggs
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
Get some vegetable servings in at breakfast—baking eggs on top of curried vegetables is simple and delicious. Make it a meal: Serve with grilled country bread and sliced fresh fruit.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 10 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and sliced (3 cups sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow summer squash, or zucchini, diced
- 1 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, with juice
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 small or medium eggs
- 4 slices French or Italian bread, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, green peppers and squash or zucchini; sauté until the mushrooms are limp and exude their liquid. Add tomatoes and mash with a wooden spoon. Stir in crushed red pepper, if using, and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the vegetable mixture evenly over the bottom of a shallow 3-quart baking dish. Make 4 wells in the vegetable mixture and break an egg into each one. Season eggs with salt and pepper. Bake until the eggs are set, 12 to 15 minutes. Gently transfer eggs to plates with a large spoon and surround with the vegetable mixture. Serve with toasted bread.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat before continuing.
Per serving: 333 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 157 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 6 g fiber; 706 mg sodium; 809 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (79% daily value), Folate (48% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Iron (29% dv), Magnesium (15% dv), Selenium (52% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 vegetables, 1/2 medium-fat meat substitute, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 1993